September Newsletter Repost: Warm Welcomes and Besos

Banners with "welcome" written in various languages lead to the National Immigrant Festival in Obera, Misiones, Argentina

When one enters a room, they should give a kiss on the cheek to everyone.

Our cohort's Spanish teacher shared this piece of advice with us during one of our first lessons. We were discussing common Argentine greetings we might experience when meeting new people.

Once you are in Argentina, it doesn't take long to learn that the "beso" (kiss) is an important non-verbal greeting. It is shared upon meeting someone regardless of age, sex, or familiarity with the other person. When being introduced to the friend of a friend, expect to share a "beso" with them. The "beso" also takes on a different form regionally, which I touched on in my September blog post. Those from the Buenos Aires province stick to one kiss, while those in the Misiones province (where my site placement is located) give a peck on both cheeks.

Passing of the peace during worship includes a "beso" and "la paz" (peace) or "la paz sea contigo" (peace be with you). In the worship services I have attended in the past 3 weeks, the passing of the peace has lasted until each person has gotten the chance to connect with everyone else in the room.  It's hard not to feel acknowledged and respected when sharing a "beso" with somebody. And by giving a "beso" to everyone in the room, you are incorporated into the group by means of a small shared moment with each person.

During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus questions "If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others?" (Matthew 5:47). This recognizes that being welcoming is an important part of loving your neighbor. As shown by the "beso", a welcome says "I see you and I appreciate that you are here". It is the first step in recognizing another person's value as a fellow sibling in Christ.

During worship in the USA, it's always easiest to share the peace with my family and friends sitting in the pews next to me. The culture of the "beso" has challenged me to think about how I can position myself to be most welcoming to others. Am I making sure everyone feels seen? Am I engaging with them wholeheartedly, not just going through the motions?

Pastora Eva presents me to the congregation at Iglesia Olaus Petri

Reflecting on being welcoming has also given me so much appreciation for my receiving community. Their welcome has embodied the "beso". Inviting me in with open arms, they are helping me find my small place within their congregations and ministries. When Pastora Eva shared my photo on the churches' group messaging boards, I was flooded with messages saying "Bienvenida Ann Emilie!" What better welcome could I ask for?

Chaucito,
Ann Emilie

Comments

Popular Posts